Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Two Safari-inspired prints (from the Vault)

At Elizabeth McKay, the only thing we love more than color is pairing it with the big, bold prints we dream up! 

With the exception of the Elephant Brigade print, we've never re-released a print after it's been issued (really!).  Why do we do this?  Because we LOVE coming up with NEW ones!  For every print that makes it through the design process, there are probably three or four that didn't make the cut.  A member of my design team pointed this out the other day and sparked a contest to see how many of our old prints we could name and how many were hiding in the vault, never to be seen again.  After we threw our hands up (we're creative types, not mathematicians), I started thinking about all of the great prints we've had through the seasons and the inspiration for each of them. 

For this post, I wanted to talk about two of my favorites - "Giraffes on the Ark" and "Elephant Brigade." 

When I dreamed up these two prints, I was on my honeymoon fulfilling one of my lifelong dreams - Safari.  I had always dreamed of going on a Safari and have a bookcase full of Fodors and Frommer's travel guides and a stack of Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler magazines to prove it.  

We started our trip in South Africa in Sabi Sands on a private reserve at one of the most exotic resorts I have ever been to.  We saw giraffes, hyenas, hippos, leopards, and of course - my coveted elephants.  I was so overwhelmed with ideas that I had to buy another journal to scribble in at the local market.  As you can see below, the Fall 2010 Elizabeth McKay line took shape with two of my favorite prints - inspired by the surreal sights and animals.

I loved this Giraffe so much....

that it was the inspiration for this print, "Giraffes on the Ark."


Have I said it once or twice?  I'm OBSESSED with Elephants!

The inspiration for "Elephant Brigade"


Still dreaming of my trip back... What do you think? Maybe Fall 2012 needs to be Safari-inspired?


Cheers! 

- Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment